Thursday 23 October 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014 - Chris Pratt, Zoe Salana, Dave Bautista.

I've been talking about this film non-stop since its release.

James Gunn writes and directs the Marvel event of 2014, Guardians of the Galaxy. An epic, space action-adventure that sees Marvel explore the universe in their latest franchise. The film centres on Peter Quill (Chris Pratt), an adventurer whose outlandish behaviour lands him being the subject of a bounty hunt after stealing an orb hidden by notorious villain Ronan (Lee Pace). The only way for Quill to resolve this situation is to form an alliance with an unusual quartet including, Rocket (Bradley Cooper), a weapons-obsessed racoon, Groot (Vin Diesel), a loveable tree, the fearsome and deadly Gamora (Zoe Saldana), and the vengeance-hungry Drax the Destroyer (Dave Bautista). On finding out the true power of the orb, the group must go to battle in order to save the galaxy.


I don't know about you, but prior to GOTG's release I wasn't expecting too much. I was unaware of most of the characters, I was surprised by the casting, and I honestly felt that it would be a one off that Marvel looked back on as a bit of a flop. I couldn't have been more wrong. From beginning, to end, I was hooked; the soundtrack, the acting, the story and the overall feel of the film was just what I wanted.

Chris Pratt leads the way with a charming and charismatic performance that holds together, quite brilliantly, his team of misfits. Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel's voice work as Rocket and Groot fits perfectly; with the pair forming a friendship that surprisingly brings out more emotion than you ever thought a tree and a racoon could!

But the biggest shock for me? Dave Bautista. I grew up watching Dave Bautista as a WWE superstar. I can't lie, when I previously mentioned that I was surprised by the casting, I was referring to Bautista as Drax the Destroyer. However, I was more surprised by the brilliance in his performance, playing the humourless, straight-to-the-point, loose cannon, with great wit, producing some unforgettable scene stealing moments. One, in particular, sticks out in my mind. For those of you that do not know, Drax the Destroyer is extremely literal, another aspect which is executed perfectly in Dave Bautista's performance. There is a moment when Rocket makes a comment that metaphors go straight over Drax's head, to which Drax replies, "NOTHING goes over my head... My reflexes are too fast, I would catch it." This aspect of James Gunn's script is what I love, it is not trying to be any other film.

In my opinion, ever since Christopher Nolan's Batman, in particular, The Dark Knight, I have found that the majority of superhero films have attempted the borrow from Nolan's way of thinking. Nowadays, superhero movies are focused on darker stories with a twisted villain who is as intriguing as they are villainous. I am not trying to state that Marvel are just the same as DC, because Marvel do like to keep a comedic streak in their films; I just feel that this Marvel way of film-making is being too heavily influenced by the work of Nolan.

Guardians of the Galaxy differs considerably as the focus of the film is clearly based with Peter Quill and his team, unlike many of the other films in the genre which has its sole focus on the villain. You just have to look at the new teaser for Age of Ultron to see this trend continuing. James Gunn has been innovative and created the most enjoyable Marvel film to date, due to not taking himself or his project too seriously.

This is the film that I've been talking about non-stop since its release, and I know that the majority of people who see it have been doing the same. If you want comedy, adventure, sci-fi and a kick-ass soundtrack, GOTG will blow you away.

J.Henderson

9/10.


No comments:

Post a Comment