Saturday 8 February 2014

Is The Following for you?

Should you watch The Following?

It took me way too long to start watching The Following (2013-). When I first heard about the show towards the end of 2012 I immediately was intrigued by the premise. The programme centres around former FBI agent Ryan Hardy (Kevin Bacon), whose biggest arrest during his career, a brilliantly charismatic yet psychotic serial killer Joe Carroll (James Purefoy), escapes from prison and forces Hardy to return to work. Carroll's compelling and hypnotic demeanor has allowed him to create a cult following that will accomplish all he requires, completing such deeds in his name and inspirations.

I only began watching The Following a couple of weeks ago and smashed through the first series within a few days, but why did it take me so long? Every Brit, no matter who they are, has seen the EE adverts that have littered our televisions. I cannot lie, and this may be (definitely is) unprofessional, but watching Kevin Bacon in them adverts stopped me from giving The Following a chance. With the end of 2013 brought new advertising and promotion for the 2nd series and I am extremely happy that I gave in and started watching this truly gripping thriller.


After watching the opening episode of the first series I knew that I wanted to see this story out. One aspect of the story had me hooked from the beginning and that was Joe Carroll. If there is one thing I love it's a proper villain. By proper I mean a villain that you can't help but quietly root for, a villain who you wish would occupy every scene. Heath Ledger's Joker and Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal both jump to mind. Now, I'm not trying to say that Joe Carroll is in this elite league with Hannibal and The Joker, but the admiration he creates from his followers in the story is mirrored by that which is emitted by all those who watch him from the comfort of their home. James Purefoy's performance is captivating and without a doubt the focal and most important ingredient in what makes The Following a show worth watching.

Is The Following for you? This show has a story that will keep you on tenterhooks, or at least it did for me. If you scare easily then I may suggest you stay clear as The Following is a thriller that is filled with dark and suspense filled sequences.

If any readers have seen the show or decide to give the show a watch after reading this post then please comment and let me know if you agree with my analysis.

If I was to rate The Following I would give it.... 7.5/10.

J.Henderson.


No comments:

Post a Comment